Wednesday, September 7, 2016

"Haematemesis" by Henry G. Sheppard




Haematemesis:

How one man overcame a fear of things medical and learned to navigate his way around hospital 



"Haematemesis"

Noun: the vomiting of blood


To suddenly be thrust into the medical maze after a diagnosis that all of us would be terrified to get. The author handled his journey with grace and a sense of humor. 

His journey laid out before you. Grateful for the kindness he was shown during this time, along with universal common mistakes and missteps. It started in 2007 when he first became ill, then again in 2015 when it returned. Leukemia is a scary diagnosis for anyone. I guess you never know how you'll handle such a thing. 

An unusual book, with an unusual subject. I found it interesting and rather entertaining. I admit more than a few passages made me laugh out loud. The author has a comforting sense of humor. It takes a special person to journal what has to be one of, if not the worst, episode in ones life. 

There were passages though that were just painful to read. I'm sorry for anyone who has to go through this. I lost my 28 year old son in law to cancer in 2004. I'm glad to know that this author is still with us and doing something he's quite good at, writing. Even his initial email to me for this request, was so entertaining, I'm pretty sure I would have said yes to the review request, even if he'd written a book about floods and alligators. 

While you may question how a book about under going cancer treatment could be entertaining, I'd agree with you. However, it's all about attitude, and strong will to see yourself through set backs. That makes this book worth reading. 

Thank you Henry G. Sheppard. It was my pleasure to read for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment