Saturday, February 24, 2018

"Minetta Lane" (Slavery and Beyond Book 3)

                                                                                             









"I learned a lot about myself with the thing with Nellie, Grandma, and I was ready to act. Uncle Marcus taught me what it takes to get what you want. He said part of winning is physical, but lots of it is strategy and what's in your head. What's been in my head has been bad for a long time, but not anymore. If I'm supposed to be protecting people and if this is what my dream is all about, I'll do my part-not afraid no more.".....

Bodee Rivers has gone to stay with his grandmother. The year is 1904. It brings him to the toughest neighborhood in the city. He isn’t used to this kind of life. Can he adapt? Will he change? His grandmother, Juba, is respected there. He has a lot to learn from her. He’s protected to some degree from the criminal element because of Juba, but first he will need a job.

Juba has a special gift and it appears it’s been passed onto Bodee. His dream, if he can understand it, may save or costs lives. The time will come when Bodee will need to make a choice.

He meets someone that he’d like to keep in his life. There are gangs, street thugs, and people to watch out for. Then there are people that you’ll least expect to be allies. I loved the mix of characters and how each played into Bodee’s story.

There is an understory of a young boy left to fend for himself. Eventually you see how he becomes a part of Bodee’s dream. This historical fiction did in fact contain some actual places, people, and events. The characters were well written. I found them to be interesting, and the story rather unique. I try to step outside my normal reading preferences occasionally. I’m never disappointed. Reading is the key to understanding ourselves and others in this world.

Thank you A. Robert Allen


No comments:

Post a Comment